Mauve wishlist

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

> It is not reasonable to expect test case developers ensure that all
> tests "run linearly". Exceptions can potentially be thrown at any
> time, so to ensure linearity, every check() call would need wrapped
> with a try/catch.

If there is a linear sequence of checks in a test() method, and an
(unexpected) exception causes the test() method to exit early (after,
say, 3 checks out of 10), I don't consider that to be non-linear.  If we
are comparing run A to run B, and 10 checks complete in run A, but only
3 checks complete in run B, we can safely assume that checks 4 to 10
were not completed in run B, and report that.

The majority of test() methods in Mauve are written that way, so I don't
think it is an unreasonable requirement, especially if it means we can
develop better comparison/regression reporting on top of the existing
TestHarness.

Regards,

Dave