New native layer

Hi Guilhem,

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 14:43 +0100, Guilhem Lavaux wrote:
> I would like to mention that I am developping/fine tuning the new native
> layer for classpath in a separate branch called "NATIVE-LAYER". If you
> have some time to give your impressions then fetch it and look into
> native/jni/native-lib, native/jni/java-io, ...
>
> the new layer itself is developped in native-lib. The other libraries
> are being adjusted currently...

Thanks for doing this on a branch. That makes it less disruptive and
easier for people to choose to test it out before we decide whether to
incorporate the work on the trunk.

But even for CVS branches you need to send patches to the patches
mailinglist. That way people can follow your work and already read up
and comment on the things they see that they like or dislike. And it
prevents you from having worked on something very hard and then
"suddenly" dropping a big patch. You also need to update the ChangeLog
file on the branch to show the steps taken in creating the new code.
Please use [native] in the subject when sending patches to the list.
(Sorry to be pedantic about this, but we want CVS to be our shared
development space, not someone personal playground.)

And please do send a proper patch for the things you already checked in
If you didn't create a branch-point cvs tag then the following should
give you the initial diff: cvs diff -Nr classpath-0_20-release native

What are the objectives for this branch? How will it be
similar/different from the work that Roman was doing?

Cheers,

Mark