Re: Setting preferred applications

Am Samstag, den 30.11.2019, 18:44 +0000 schrieb Tony Houghton:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 20:54, Volker Wysk <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I know how to set some preferred applications in Einstellungen ->
> > Informationen -> Vorgabeanwendugen (~ system settings ->
> > information ->
> > default applications). But how to set the preferred PDF viewer
> > and
> > terminal emulator?
>
> I don't think GNOME has a way to set a preferred terminal emulator,
> but in Debian, Ubuntu etc you can use the update-alternatives command
> to set x-terminal-emulator.

I've done:

update-alternatives --set x-terminal-emulator /usr/bin/xterm

... and the symbolic link in /etc/alternatives got changed. But when I
do "open in terminal" in nautilus, then it's still the GNOME-Terminal.

> You can configure which app to use for certain filetypes, eg use
> evince for PDF, when they're opened in the Nautilus file manager.
> Right click on a file of that type, select "Properties" from the
> menu, then select the "Open with" tab. Choose the application then
> click "Set as default".

Yes, that's it. It has already been said in the other message.

> Sorry, I am also ignorant of the German translations for these.

I find it, when I have the English name. No problem.

Good bye,
Volker