Re: gnome-terminal - cannot cut&paste between gnome-terminals on separate screens

On Fri, 2016-03-11 at 11:36 -0600, Tod A. Sandman wrote:
> I rely heavily on dual monitors with many terminal windows and
> workspaces.  For many years (since SunOS4 I think) I've configured
> dual monitors as independent screens (i.e., :0.0 and 0:1).  From
> within a terminal on one screen I could open a new terminal displayed
> on the other screen, and cut&paste worked seamlessly across any
> terminals. Since I moved from Centos6 to Centos7, this seems to be a
> real challenge.
>
> With the latest Centos7 and gnome-terminal, cut&paste works fine
> amongst gnome-terminals on the same screen. However, it does not work
> at all amongst gnome-terminals on separate screens.
>
> I noticed this does not apply to some other apps I tried. For
> instance, cut&paste works fine across screens for firefox and
> openoffice. Cut&paste FROM other apps into a gnome-terminal on a
> different screen also works, while cut&paste TO other apps from a
> gnome-terminal does not.
>
> I installed xterm and it seems to work fine, but I'm hoping to avoid
> going back to it.
>
> I think this is related to gnome-terminal as opposed to my graphics
> driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.63) or window manager (XFCE4).

I'm guessing the reason is that gnome-terminal uses GTK+3.

The release notes for 3.10 have this:

* GDK has been changed to allow only a single screen per display.
  Only the X11 backend had multiple screens before, and multi-screen
  setups (not multi-monitor!) are very rare nowadays. If you really
  need multiple X screens, open them as separate displays.

But, it looks like it was added back in (or at least support for the
clipboard was added) in 3.17.6:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/gdk/x11?h=3.17.6&id=55edc81c10742bf3e410168f6dc317f8aca05938

--
Cheers,