Re: GNOME Chat and the future of instant messaging in gnome

On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 05:14 +0000, Charles Johnson wrote:
>  Wow... this looks very interesting topic, see https://mail.gnome.org
> /archives/release-team/2015-April/msg00050.html
> I think there's an important point here. Consider that messaging is
> still used and protocols should be prioritized over others.
> Have many protocols in the same application is very useful, but now
> is not a priority, many popular messaging system are integrated into
> the website like facebook, Hangouts or Skype.
> Telepathy framework does not have a very active development, but can
> be enhanced aseptic protocols to provide free messaging (text, voice
> call and video call).

Well, I very happily use Empathy for XMPP & IRC.

But 'the cloud' continues to strangle free-standing software, such as
Open Source, and dissuade innovation.  Yay.  Looks like I will
eventually be back to using xchat.

> So I think 3 protocols must be strengthened and supported in gnome-
> chat:
> XMPP/Jingle: Free messaging by definition. It includes Gabble and
> Salut.

I am not sure what needs to be strengthened.  XMPP works really well.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> GPG D95ED383