Re: Purpose of GNOME online accounts?

When open protocols were the norm for massive ad companies like
Facebook and Google, we got a LOT out of this.  Google talk and
facebook chat were very nicely integrated, Google Docs synced and was
index locally, Contacts pulled from your GMail and Facebook accounts
and auto populated everywhere they should.  This let you do things
like type somebody's name in the shell and send them an IM.  Sadly
Talk has been deprecated in favor of hangouts, Facebook XMPP is not
supported by Facebook any more, etc etc.

Sometimes on good days the Docs integration still works ok, but even
then it isn't great.
Summers Pittman