Re: newby

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM, E.Fennema <fennema.e@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Very recently I got Gnome 3 installed with openSuSE 13.2. I still have to learn how to love it. Where does it document how to get a new application on the Activities page. I have my own accounting program, surprisingly called 'fin', and I want to start it from Activities or even the dash and not via a Gnu shell or something.

Hi,

Just like other desktops, you do this with a standard desktop file: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

Put the desktop file in /usr/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications.

Similarly where is documented how to start programs that do need a filename on each invocation.

If the filename is going to be the same each time you launch the program, you can use the Exec key in the desktop file: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html

Otherwise, you'll need to launch it manually from the command line (or with the Alt+F2 Run dialog).