Re: Building an application

On Sat 25 Jan 2014 06:09:35 PM CET, Ian Davidson wrote:
> I have compiled a program which I can run from the command line.  I
> would like to be able to launch it by clicking an icon - so presumably
> I need to install it.  Where can I read about what I need to do?

There are several quite different answers that could help you...

1. You make the file executable then click on it and it will launch:
    1.1 Do so with commandline: chmod +x <your file>
    1.2 With nautilus (the filemanager) right click then in properties
in the permissionstab.
2. You actually want a menu entry into the Gnome Menu:
    Then you have to create a .desktop file and place it in the folder
~/.local/share/applications
    More on how to do that:
https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en
3. Your programm already knows howto install (you downloaded it and
built it with make) then you can probably install it with the command
'make install' in a terminal.

There is still more but you could also specify more precisely what you
want to do...