How to make the sample application

I am trying to learn GTK and I have copied all the files from
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/examples/application1
to my local drive.  I believe that this is the all the sources etc for the 'Trivial Application' described at
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/ch01s05.html

What I don't see is any instructions as to how to compile the application.  Seeing a Makefile.am, I thought that I could try 'make' - but I could not find erros that there was no makefile found.

Advice would be very welcome.

Ian