Re: gnome3, yet another negative feedback

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 14:01 +0400, Alexey Blinov wrote:
> I wish Gnome3 would use "classic" computer hardware, like keyboard and
> mouse with 3 buttons (and a wheel)

Fortunately it does!  So your wish is granted.

>  -- *fully* exploiting these classic hardware controls (I won't
> explain, probably everybody who tried Gnome3, understands what I
> mean).

Nope, I use it all day every day and have no clue what this [or all the
similar vague railings] means.  I use multiple large displays, keyboard
and mouse.  It works perfectly well with GNOME shell, and GNOME shell
exploits all the resources very effectively.

>  Probably the target was all those touch-controlled screens, that's
> fine, but also keep the desktop GUI for classic hardware.

No, no, and no.  This meme is just a tired saw.  The target was to
create a modern and effective desktop.  A goal achieved.

> (As to videocard-accelerated effects.. I do welcome them, nice, eye
> candy, but to me, interested first in getting work done, they are of
> much less importance)

Yes, and GNOME does this.  Effects can be minimized, if required.
Although it runs perfectly well on both my Chromebook [running openSUSE
12.3] and my 6 year old 32-bit laptop.

> (I tried Gnome 3.4 in new Debian 7 wheezy.)

That is 2+ major releases old.  GNOME 3.6 changed how video
'acceleration' was managed.  [which I can only guess is what your
complaint is - since you do not specify].

> Thank you, and keep up the good work. Literally: keep up the Gnome2 :)

Sorry,  GNOME 2 is done, dead, and buried.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> GPG D95ED383