Re: Netspeed applet replacement and other stuff?

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:28 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 04:32 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > It is the wise route of clearly presenting the new and improved
> > > approach.
> If someone really wants a 'retro' Window focused Desktop Environment
> then they may very well be happier with XFCE.  That doesn't not make
> GNOME3 [a task oriented Desktop Environment] "messy", "forced", or
> anything other than different.

Why is it so difficult to get used to it then? Gnome3 on my laptop
slows to a halt sometimes, looks like the memory is too low, I _only_
have 1GB, and the CPU is not too fast. With the 3D acceleration
enabled too, I have not disabled that yet, it makes things
worse. Maybe I'll try XFCE and happily forget about gnome3 after
that (but it would be a shame to give up so easily).

On all computers I have I have not upgraded fully to gnome3, except the
laptop, and now when the fallback solution is gone, what to do??

> GNOME3 certainly *increased* by user satisfaction.

Statistics, please!

> > > This is a serious question:
> > > What is the actual point and useful information provided by the
> > > netspeed applett?

> The later can only be determine by connecting to each node in turn and
> running a test.  Actually for a meaningful answer you'd have to test
> each node multiple times. Ugh.

I happen to like the netspeed applet, why am I refused to have one in
gnome3? The gnome system monitor is too heavy weight, I want some
performance indicators (network, memory, cpu, swapping, etc) on the top
or bottom window list, not something I have to switch to to be able to
see anything (I already use xosview for that).

> > * An application does not provide the luxery of an explicit download
> >  speed display.
>
> The gnome-system-monitor seems adequate for answering that question.

See above, can I have it displayed on the window list?