Re: One very unhappy Linux user

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM, carpetnailz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<carpetnailz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Think of all the time wasted by the (hundreds of thousands of?) users
> all over the world trying to relearn how to use their major, everyday
> tool! Steve Jobs reportedly reminded his developers early on something
> like this: If it takes 10 extra seconds to boot Mac, multiply that by
> the millions or users all over the world once or twice a day.
>
> Specifically re Gnome 3 failure: Whereas I used to be able to open
> documents that I use everyday or so by just clicking on the desktop
> icon, I now have to
> 1. Find the app icon in my Dash--on my 10" relatively hi-res screen,
> that can take time, since the icons are very small.
> 2. Click on the app in the dash and wait while it opens.
> 3. Take time to go to "File," click "Open", find my document and click
> on it to open it.

So you're not using Gnome3 efficiently: you can also use "win"+ part
of document name, or the Documents Function which organizes the
Documents and you find recent Docs, and so on.

> This is not progress.
>
> Another: I used to be able to move to a different app/document by
> clicking on the document in the bottom panel Now I have to
> 1. Alt-tab to get the screen that has the different apps
> 2. Continue to alt-tab till I've selected the right app.
> 3. If I'm lucky, the new app/document now can be worked on.
> 4. But what if I have more than one document open in that app? Then
> alt-tab fails me. I have to either move my cursor to the right doc while
> continuing to hold down alt-tab, which is well nigh impossible if I'm
> not using a mouse, or give up and waste more time going to the
> Activities screen and try to find the right document there, which is
> also a problem, since the icons all tend to look alike and most of the
> labels are seriously truncated.

Just press the "Win" Key and you see all Windows of the Desktop. You
can also install the "Alt-tab" Extension to modify the behaviour

> So I'm supposed to waste even more time installing and experimenting
> with alien desktops, gradually learning whether or not they have the
> features I need?

You don't have to waste any time. You just have to adopt a little bit.