Re: The Apology of GNOME 3 (an analogy to the Apology of Socrates by Plato)

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 09:49, Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Barry Say <barry07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> Sorry, this was a really bad move. A really bad  PR own-goal which as far
>> as I can see has diminished the reputation of the Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Barry
>
> PR for who ? The move was taken by Fedora, not by Gnome, don't you see?
> Gnome as upstream is not responsible for including G 3 in F 15, that was a
> decision made by the distro maintainers.

I find it disingenious to claim that it's the distributions who are to
blame for an en-masse move to G3. Gnome moved to G3 and dropped
support for G2. What are the options left for distributions then?

1. Remain with an unsupported G2, which leaves them with the problem
of support. Very few distributions have enough man-power to support
and maintain something as large as G2, they could wait out initiatives
like Mate. But they do that with the knowledge that any fork is
unlikely to itself have the same sort of backing as the original
project. On top of this, developers of Gnome-based applications are
unlikely to make sure that their applications are usable on both G2
and G3. In short, this option isn't a good one for any distribution
that whishes to remain up-to-date and relevant to users.

2. Move to G3.

So I think the organisation behind Gnome basically forced
distributions to drop G2, not directly but in-directly.

Do note however, that I don't say that Gnome's acting here is wrong.
What is wrong is when people/organisations don't own up to their
actions and the repercussions of those actions.

> Use the fall-back mode, that works ok.

Fall-back mode works all right for now, but sooner or later it'll go
away. Hopefully the users who pine for G2 will use it and then slowly
realise that as G3 matures it really is a step forward.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx   jabber: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx