GNOME and GNU

Hi.

I was having a discussion about GNOME at work last week about who wrote it; My understanding was that Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena wrote gnome in august 1997, with red hat taking active interest/funding/development assistance in jan 1998.  But someone stated I was wrong; that GNU wrote GNOME. I dont have the full answer, but i’m curious. I suspect Miguel and Federico started writing it and then submitted it to GNU to add to the GNU Project. I found Miguel’s home page but it doesn’t mention GNU (other than maybe the G in GNOME stands for GNU). But I also found a page from GNU stating they started the project.

Could someone please confirm the origins for me and the relationship between GNU and GNOME?

Thank you.