Re: Gnome hang on logout.

Hello
On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 15:03 -0400, Jason Cipriani wrote:> I am running Gnome 2.20.3. I just recently updated from a previous> version of Gnome (I do not remember what the previous version was but> it was at least 4 or 5 months old). I do not use a graphical log in. I> am not logging in to a remote machine, this is all local.> > Since updating, when I kill the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc, or when> I log out properly via System -> Log Out, everything disappears> (including the mouse cursor) except for the desktop background, and> then it gets stuck. I know the machine is not completely hung, because> if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del the system will shut down properly and reboot> -- although the desktop background will remain on the screen until the> reboot actually happens. When it is in this state, I can't switch to> text terminals, or do anything at all (including Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc). I've> given it at least 5 minutes to exit but it does not (I remember having> issues logging out with the old version where gconfd or something> would stay running for a long time after the gnome desktop ended -- I> do not know if this is related; that didn't cause me problems logging> out but it did cause me problems if I tried to restart gnome again too> quickly before gconfd had died).> > This problem happens 99% of the time -- it does *not* seem to happen> if I log out within the first few minutes of starting Gnome, but I> haven't been able to determine what I need to do to make it start to> hang. It does not seem to be a general X problem, because I can use> other desktops and window managers (and just X by itself) with no> issues. This problem did not happen at all before I updated Gnome.> > I am not familiar enough with Gnome to know where to start looking;> it's becoming a major issue because it is not possible for me to log> out or switch users without rebooting the machine. What I found on> Google either didn't match my description or was a problem with remote> connections. Nothing in /var/log or my user dir jumped out at me> either. What is a good starting point for investigating?
1. Any messages logged to ~/.xsession-errors ?
2. does top report any gnome app pegging cpu , when viewed from a VT( Ctrl+Alt+F1)
3. probably an strace ?