Gnome and ToME

Hi,

I've been working on ToME(www.t-o-m-e.net) for the last few months and
I've run into a problem which I'm hoping someone here can help me with.
Although ToME has a gtk interface, this problem occurs only with the raw
libX11 interface. Reproducing the problem on my machine is simple and goes
as follows:

Start ToME
Maximize ToME

Once ToME is maximized, wnck-applet, Xorg and metacity start to use all
available cpu time. ToME itself has called XNextEvent() and after several
other internal X function calls is sitting in a call to poll() waiting to
receive its next event. If instead of using the maximizing button I resize
ToME manaully to fill the screen, no unnecessary cpu usage occurs with any
of the applications mentioned earlier. Why would any of these gnome
applications start eating cpu time for something that ToME is either doing
or not doing associated with Maximizing? Is there something ToME needs to
do during initialization or during a resize event to correctly work with
Metacity?

I am currently running FreeBSD 6.2 and Gnome 2.20.1, but I've seen this
behaviour with earlier versions of Gnome including 2.18.x and 2.16.x.
--
phil