Re: Questions regarding Sun's gnome 2.6 implementation

On 11 Oct 2007, at 05:32, Jeffery Small wrote:

> Thanks you for this detailed help.  I didn't even know about the
> gconf-editor
> tool.  I made the change and now the desktop is working much more
> smoothly.
> I can't imagine why Sun would ship Gnome 2.0 with this property
> disabled
> and then ship 2.6 with it enabled.

GNOME 2.0 was never a supported product from Sun, just a free
download for anyone who was interested.  (I'm not sure if the
reduced_resources flag even existed in 2.0, I forget off-hand.)

For 2.6, a supported product, we had to support Sun Ray
installations, which generally benefit from the reduced_resources
flag being set.  There's also still a lot of old Sun hardware out
there (even more so back when GNOME 2.6 was released), on which GNOME
runs a *lot* less smoothly than CDE.  So the reduced_resources flag
was just set by default to provide the smoothest experience for as
many of our users as possible.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum.benson@xxxxxxx           GNOME Desktop Team