Re: Open file dialog improvements

Hi,
Le jeudi 13 septembre 2007 à 21:49 +0300, alecs1 a écrit :> 	This e-mail may not be very pleasant, but since I am affected very much by > some Gtk decissions I have to complain and hope for a nice reply and > solution.
I think all remarks are always good to be heard, that's the way toimprove oneself or something :-)
> 	Please include the following features in the Gtk open file dialog:> -an addres bar> -an option to view the thumbnails> -some basic file editing methods (mainly delete and rename).> > 1.An address bar is very useful when you have the address (or a part of it) of > a deep directory/file. It also helps you have more exact idea of where you > are than the bread crumb method.
On recent gtk versions you have a button to show the address bar butwith older versions (as the one you seem to use) you should be able tomake it magically appear by pressing Ctrl + L.
> 2.An option to view the thumbnails helps very much when selecting a picture > with programs like Gimp and gaim; when selecting a font with VLC.
Recent versions of Gimp have a preview pane on the side. I don't knowabout gaim and VLC but I think you should tell it to the maintainers ofthese particular applications to make it change if that is not alreadythe case.
> 3.The rename and edit functionalities are also very useful, for example when > making more versions of a file (a drawing for example), and when you save the > one you feel is the best you have the oportunity to delete the other ones. > Another thing is when creating more files with the same pattern and you > decide for a standard name and are able to rename all the others to respect > the name convention.
I remember having something about this one with great arguments from the2 parties, GNOME having made the choice to not put a whole file managerin the open file dialog.This is not particularly user friendly, renaming or deleting a file notbeing the task the user should be wanting to do at this moment.Further more, having gtk do this would create a dependency from gtk onnautilus. This is not correct some gtk applications needing to be portedon operating systems not using nautilus as a file manager.There are certainly of other good reasons for this behaviour.
> The lacking of feature number 1 is the reason I switched from Gimp to Krita > for my extremely simple drawings. Because of this I started hating Gtk/Gnome: > if the toolkit to have such bad ideas never existed the programs had to use > some user friendly solutions :).> > Here is a link to a screenshot I took and posted on a forum. > http://www.linux360.ro/forum/image-asp1940.html> It depicts the hastle of choosing a picture for a buddy icon with Gaim, > choosing a font with VLC and the standard dialog from Kate, which I could > even convince to sort and show thumbnails (though it is a text editor). For > the people who understand Romanian, the language will seem very impolite, > because it expresses my frustrations of trying to use some programs I really > like, and having to drop them because of the dialogs.> > Thank you very much.> Alex.
Ghislain