Question: System Monitor: missing processes

When I run the System Monitor and select to see a list of currently running processes only some of the running processes are actually shown.
"top" gives me a larger list.
I'm guessing that the System Monitor is only showing the processes that are owned by the currently logged on user.
Is there a way to see all processes running on the system without having to login to Gnome as root?
Thanks.

--
Alexander Ryan
alexander.j.ryan@xxxxxxxxx