adding gnome-terminal profiles automatically

Hello
I would like to add some profiles to gnome-terminal from old kde konsole
desktop files. Each profile will be exactly the same as the default
profile, apart from using a different custom command instead of the
default shell (eg ssh joe@xxxxxxxxxx). I have hunted for how to do this
using gconftool-2, but have only found how to change existing profiles,
not *add new ones*.
Could someone point me in the right direction? The end goal is to write
a little bash script that can feed a list of custom commands to
gconftool-2 and make a new profile for each one.
Thanks,