Re: broken images in nm-applet for wireless

George Nychis wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I did a minimal server install in Ubuntu and built up to an fvwm
> desktop. Therefore, I don't have the complete gnome package and desktop.
>
> I still want to use network-manager-gnome however, so I did an apt-get
> on it, and it works great except that I am getting boxes with red X's in
> them in the wireless drop down list when there is a network that has
> some sort of encryption enabled. So it seems like I'm missing some images.
>
> Does anyone know anything else I may need to apt-get?
>
> Thanks!
> George

While we are talking about nm-applet (I hate to change subject), I run
certain scripts when network goes up/down via post-up, pre-down,
post-down lines in /etc/network/interfaces and it seems that with these
lines in place nm-applet is unable to bring connection up/down and
"thinks" that the network is down when in fact it is active.

With the same scripts in /etc/network/if-[post|pre]-[up|down].d/
directories (and not defined in the 'interfaces' file), nm-applet works
fine, but the scripts in if-down.d/ are not exactly executed *before*
the connection goes down (which is unacceptable for the purposes of the
scripts I'm developing).  netapplet, on the other hand, handles both the
'interface' file and script directory setups just fine.  Could this be
an nm-applet problem?  (I'm running a debian lenny system in case this
is relevant.)  Thanks.

-Jose