Full screen images

I am using Gnome 2.16.0 via Centos 5.0.

So far I have used two graphics viewing programs:  gThumb 2.7.8 and
Comix 3.6.4

In both I have specified that "Fit Image to Window" for full screen viewing.

But this does not work.  The jpgs and gifs come up not filling the
screen unless I click on the 'Fit' button from the menu that shows when
you move the mouse around.

This worked just fine in Gnome 2.8.0 under Centos 4.x.

So what am I missing here?