You are not allowed to access the system configuration...

For some reason, since recently I am unable to access certain menu items
from Gnome. For example:

  System > Administration > Users and Groups

Results in the following error message:

  The configuration could not be loaded
  You are not allowed to access the system configuration.

Used to be that I would be presented a dialogue to enter the root
password, but that is not happening anymore.

Any ideas how to fix this?

--
Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@xxxxxxxxx>