Re: Starting gnome after text-based install

Found the problem...

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have just dropped Centos 5 on a laptop with only 256M  memory.
> Problem was 24M is shared with the video card so the installer insisted
> on text, not graphical install.
>
> I DID install gnome and specified it as my interface.  But when I do an
> init 5, I come up in X not Gnome.
>
> What do I have to change to fix this aberrant behaviour?
There is a missing piece (one of many!) in the text install.

Even if you select Gnome as your workstation WIndows environment, not
all of Gnome gets in. You still have to do:

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Then edit inittab.