startup performance

Hi there
  I user Ubuntu Linux (still Edgy and will update in two weeks) with the
GNOME desktop. After a complete new install of the system GNOME starts up
pretty fast and shows also a quite nice performance. However, after some
time (weeks) it is getting slower and slower (especially during startup).
This effect seems to be independent since I could observe it on all
releases since 2.12.
Is there any reason why this happens and if yes how can one get GNOME
becoming faster again?

best regards
   Eugen Wintersberger