Re: Keyboard layout and Fonts

On 3/8/07, Rafi Gabzu <rafi.gabzu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After reinstall Debian (long story )  I found that GNOME is much better and
> nicer than KDE so I decided to stay with it , but now I do not know few
> things :

> 1. How do I set keyboard combination to toggle between two keyboard layout ?

SCIM is one very good IME (Input Method Engine) and if you have
installed it (http://www.scim-im.org) then Ctrl+Space would activate
it & also deactivate it. Once activated, it will show you a couple of
keymaps (www.m17n.org) which you might have installed in a SCIM panel
on the bottom right of the screen.

Check http://www.makuchaku.info/blog/enabling-support-for-your-indic-language-in-fc-5-and-beyond
for more information on setting up SCIM. Please note that this is
specific for Fedora, but the generic process should work for all
distros.

> 2. I'm looking for more nice English fonts than the current, which are
> recommended and how to install  ?

Installing new fonts is simple - just copy them to /usr/share/fonts
and run fc-cache

> 3. Where can I see (graphical) the system properties like Kernel version,
> distribution, CPU etc. ?

check /proc/cpuinfo

I hope it helps...

Regards,