gnome-panel profiles?

I have a Fedora Core 2 box that I sometimes access remotely, and I like
to have a cut-down panel for my remote session that doesn't interfere with
my ability to have the normal panel on the console.  I do this with the
command "gnome-panel --profile=remote".

I'm upgrading the box, however, and now the --profile argument is silently
ignored.  Changelog says that profiles were removed at about release 2.10.

So how can I achieve the same thing now?

imc