gnome-terminal

I am connecting to a Red Hat server using X-Win32.  Sometimes when I run
gnome-terminal I have a latency problem.  I type a command like 'ls' and
there is a pause before it actually lists the files.  If I run xterm at
the same time the response to 'ls' is instantaneous.

It's not a problem with the load on the server.  It's a new dual-core
with 8 GB of RAM and I'm the only one logged in.  Any other X
application I run doesn't have a problem.

Is there some way I can tune gnome-terminal to behave better?  I know I
can run xterm instead, but I'd rather not - unless there is a good way
to behave a lot like gnome-terminal.

Thanks,

Ron