Re: Playing a sound when GDM is "ready"

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 09:41 -0400, José Alburquerque wrote:>   >> Hi.  I have bit of a sound question with regards to gdm.  Recently I did>> a fresh install of a GNU/Linux system (Debian) running GNOME 2.14.  All>> went well except that I configured the Login Window (from my>> "Desktop->Administration" menu) for 1) timed login and 2) play the>> "generic.wav" sound file (in /usr/share/sounds) when the login screen is>> ready.>>>> My system is running alsa and all sound applications (like xmms, totem,>> etc.) work just fine.  In fact, my session runs esound (esd) and all my>> gnome sounds play fine (ie. when I select a menu or press a button, etc.)>>>> GDM, however, does not play the sound file I selected.  Would anyone>> have any idea why gdm would not play sound?  When gdm comes up (after a>> logout or a boot up), it only makes the "computer sound" (from the>> computer cpu) but no sound to the speakers.>>>> A simple explanation as to what gdm does to play a sound would help>> greatly!  Thanks very much>>     > not to sure but do check out alsa volume setting from a virtual> terminal, and try playing the sounds from within gdm.>>   How do I "play sounds from within gdm"?  Do you mean from within my gnome session?  When I play within my session from a gnome-terminal I get an error:
jose@sweety:~$ play /usr/share/sounds/generic.wavsox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
But as I said, when I click on a menu item or press a button (on my desktop), I still get sound.  In my sound preferences I have esound enabled and system sounds.  Maybe esd is "blocking" the device?
-- SincerelyJose Alburquerque
_______________________________________________gnome-list mailing listgnome-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list