Re: Openinig text files with international characters in nautilus

Joao Palhoto Matos wrote:
> A piece of advice:
>
> Do printenv in a terminal and let people know if
>
> GDM_LANG
>
> is set and to what value.
>
> This depends on your choice in the gdm login screen for language.
>
> Hopefully your trouble is just a choice of the C locale for language
> (or most likely you never chose one) or  never installed appropriate
> locale support.
>
> I cannot reproduce your problem. I have
> GDM_LANG=pt_PT.ISO-8859-1
>
> but I am an ultra conservative about using ISO-8859-1 which makes life
> with pine, latex and php simpler.
>
> Duplicating a file in nautilus I got a filename with "cópia" which Vi
> improved happily opened.
>
> On the face of it your problem is totally unrelated to gnome.

It seems that you are right about me never choosing a gdm locale (I
don't recall ever having done this since my fresh install of my debian
system).   When I do a 'printenv | grep -i gdm' I get:

jose@sweety:~$ printenv | grep -i gdm
GDM_XSERVER_LOCATION=local
GDMSESSION=default

so I don't have a GDM_LANG variable defined.  Do you think that if this
variable is set at login (say to "C") it would fix my problem?  TIA.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque