Re: Openinig text files with international characters in nautilus

José Alburquerque wrote:
> I have an interesting little question.  I have some text files in a
> folder with international character filenames (ie. the file names
> contain characters such as é,ñ,¡, etc.).  I try to open these files with
> vim from nautilus.  However, it seems that because of the "unusual"
> characters, vim cannot open the files.
>
> If I issue the command (gvim "<filename>.txt") from a gnome-terminal
> (running bash), vim opens it with no problems and displays the name of
> the file (with the international characters) fine at the bottom.  (BTW,
> when I open from nautilus vim shows the filename but the international
> characters are translated to funny characters).
>
> I've been able to find that in the gnome-terminal the shell variable
> "LANG" is defined to have the value "en_US.UTF-8".  If I unset this
> variable and attempt to vi, the filename displayed at the bottom of the
> vim window is again sort of "garbled" as occurs in nautilus.
>
> This sort of leads me to believe that the LANG variable is not defined
> when gnome starts up but is defined in the terminal (I guess from my
> .bashrc).
>
> Would anyone know how I might get nautilus to open these files
> correctly?  I'm running GNOME 2.14 and my system starts in X mode
> running gdm.

I just found out that the "LANG" variable has nothing to do with this.
I issued the command 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nautilus --no-desktop' which
brings up a nautilus window that exhibits the same behavior.  Anyone has
any ideas?  Much appreciate it.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque