Removing entries from the GNOME "Applications" menu

I installed the newest OpenOffice release on on RedHat EL WS 4 and I want to
remove the old OpenOffice menu entries from the GNOME Applications menu. I've
tried the techniques described in the GNOME documentation:
1. Right-click item > "Remove This Item" ("Remove" is disabled, even for root)
2. Point Nautilus to applications:/// (fails with message "read-only disk").

I've also searched for the menu definitions in a config file somewhere in the
file system but can't find anything.

I've tried Google, "find", "Help", GNOME mailing list archives...no luck. Anyone
know how to remove a menu entry from a GNOME menu?

Thanks,
Mike

--

Mike Woinoski                      Pine Needle Consulting
mailto:michaelw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx