Re: Tool for search mime association

On 6/21/06, Don Scorgie <DonScorgie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The gnomevfs API isn't depreciated (AFAIK).  Certainly, we use gnomevfs
> extensively.

Sorry, my misunderstanding! :/

Only gnome-vfs-mime-database API are deprecated and not entire gnome-vfs API.

> However, if your looking for a small easy tool, maybe writing your own
> would be okay?

"Reinvent the wheel" isn't always a good way to inprove open and free
software development. Some development divergencies are a very good
thing, I prefer to join my efforts with efforts of others. Then, it is
for that I'm asking for advice here.

> Check the API documentation for gnomevfs and find this function:
> gnome_vfs_mime_get_default_application_for_uri [1]

Thanks for this note. I never would go to understand this if you don't
persisted to show me this subject.

> As was pointed out, gconf isn't really anything to do with mime types.
> gconf is used for storing preferences and things.  gnomevfs really is
> the way to get at mime types (at least AFAIK).

GConf has nothing to do with "mime database", I agree. But it have
some things to do with users preferences (like user settings for
mime-application association) and with the default settings on GNOME
system (like default mime-application associations).

Or am I understaning something wrong?

> Don
>
> [1]
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gnome-vfs-2.0/gnome-vfs-20-gnome-vfs-mime-database.html#gnome-vfs-mime-get-default-application-for-uri