Two Minor Annoyances with Gnome

I am a new Gnome user on my SuSE 9.0 partition and have two rather minor
annoyances that I would like to eliminate.

1.  Rather than the trash can icon that I origionally had I now have an
icon that is a sheet of paper with the left top corner turned down.  How
do I restore the origional trash can icon?

2.  When I open Gnome it insists on having icons for some of my vfat
directories on the desktop.  How do I keep this from happening?

Thanks in advance.