While connecting to session manager: could not open network socket

FC2, up2date/apt-get updates from
http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc2-tips.php

A few minutes after X is started, whenever I run gnome apps, I get

While connecting to session manager:Could not open network socket.

which slows the apps down considerably.  Some won't even work.  If I restart X, it works again for a while, then the error starts again
help?