Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

iain <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Which is more common
> a) Files which are badly named?
> b) Files which are funny and nautilus sniffs the wrong thing?

I can't really say which is more common and happens more often (I
haven't counted), however b) is the one thing that is extremly
annoying and that I noticed much more. The reason for this is that a)
is the case of a users error and trivially fixed, most programms can
even simply avoid this to happen at all by forcing a correct suffix.
b) however is the result of the user doing nothing wrong but the
computer going goofy and leaving the user with no way to fix this,
basically rendering the filemanager unusable for some types of files.

>From my experience with Nautilus so far I had a whole bunch of files
that where incorrectly handled due to automatic file type guessing,
but which could be trivially correctly detected by file suffix. On the
other side the number of files that could not be detected by filename
and which required a file-type guessing by content was pretty damn
small. When one uses the whole filename instead of just the suffix the
number should get even smaller, ie COPYING, .bashrc, AUTHORS, etc.
don't have a suffix, but its still pretty clear what the content is,
no need to play the guessing game.

In my opinion file type guessing by content should either not be used
at all or only as a very last fallback when everything else failed.
Filetype guessing might also become part of the context-menu to allow
the user to easily fix the suffix in case of that being broken.

So far I really hadn't I single case where I was happy to have
file-content guessing in Nautilus/gnome-vfs, but a whole number of
cases where it was simply just damn annoying. In my eyes it has done
far worse than good. The biggest disadvantage of file-content guessing
is after all that it is not modifiable by the user at all, obscure and
slow. Using the filename name however is fast, transparent to the
user, easy to modify and basically works much better in my experience.

JabberID: grumbel@xxxxxxxxxx
ICQ:      59461927