Re: client side profiling

Hi,

see the comments inline

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:44 AM Computerisms Corporation <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi List,

I am still struggling with my setup.  One server is working reasonably
well for serving websites, but serving sites from the 2nd server is
still using excessive amounts of cpu; a bit of which is gluster, but
most of which is apache.

Gluster docs mentions client-side-profiling:

https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Performance%20Testing/#client-side-profiling

specifically:

"In short, use client-side profiling for understanding "why is my
application unresponsive"?"

Great, I think this is what I want.  instructions are:

*gluster volume profile your-volume start
*setfattr -n trusted.io-stats-dump -v /tmp/io-stats-pre.txt /your/mountpoint
*This will generate the specified file on the client

Okay:

root@moogle:/usr/src/gluster-profile-analysis-master# gluster vol
profile webisms start
Profile on Volume webisms is already started
root@moogle:/usr/src/gluster-profile-analysis-master# setfattr -n
trusted.io-stats-dump -v /tmp/stats.txt /Computerisms
root@moogle:/usr/src/gluster-profile-analysis-master# ls /tmp/stats.txt
ls: cannot access '/tmp/stats.txt': No such file or directory

thought for sure I am doing something wrong, so I had a look at the
gvp-client.sh script, and it appears I am doing the command correctly,
there is just no output file.  Am I missing something?  or is this an
outdated methodology that no longer works?

For security reasons, the value passed cannot represent a full path, so this was changed to only tell the name of a file. The file itself is stored inside /var/run/gluster.

If you look there, there should be a file like '-tmp-stats.txt' (replacing '/' by '_') which contains the client profile.

Regards,

Xavi
________

Community Meeting Calendar: