Re: performance

Hi Artem and others,

Happy to report the system has been relatively stable for the remainder of the week. I have one wordpress site that seems to get hung processes when someone logs in with an incorrect password. Since it is only one, and reliably reproduceable, I am not sure if the issue is to do with Gluster or Wordpress itself, but afaik it was not doing it some months back before the system was using Gluster so I am guessing some combo of both.

Regardless, that is the one and only time apache processes stacked up to over 150, and that still only brought the load average up to just under 25; the system did go a bit sluggish, but remained fairly responsive throughout until I restarted apache. Otherwise 15 minute load average consistently runs between 8 and 11 during peak hours and between 4 and 7 during off hours, and other than the one time I have not seen the one-minute load average go over 15. all resources still spike to full capacity from time to time, but it never remains that way for long like it did before.

For site responsiveness, first visit to any given site is quite slow, like 3-5 seconds on straight html pages, 10-15 seconds for some of the more bloated WP themes, but clicking links within the site after the first page is loaded is relatively quick, like 1 second on straight html pages, and ~5-6 seconds on the bloated themes. Again, not sure if that is a Gluster related thing or something else.

So, still holding my breath a bit, but seems this solution is working, at least for me. I haven't played with any of the other settings yet to see if I can improve it further, probably will next week. thinking to increase the write behind window size further to see what happens, as well as play with the settings suggested by Strahil.

On 2020-08-05 5:28 p.m., Artem Russakovskii wrote:
I'm very curious whether these improvements hold up over the next few days. Please report back.

Sincerely,
Artem

--
Founder, Android Police <http://www.androidpolice.com>, APK Mirror <http://www.apkmirror.com/>, Illogical Robot LLC
beerpla.net <http://beerpla.net/> | @ArtemR <http://twitter.com/ArtemR>

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:44 AM Computerisms Corporation <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi List,

     > So, we just moved into a quieter time of the day, but maybe I just
     > stumbled onto something.  I was trying to figure out if/how I could
     > throw more RAM at the problem.  gluster docs says write behind is
    not a
     > cache unless flush-behind is on.  So seems that is a way to throw
    ram to
     > it?  I put performance.write-behind-window-size: 512MB and
     > performance.flush-behind: on and the whole system calmed down pretty
     > much immediately.  could be just timing, though, will have to see
     > tomorrow during business hours whether the system stays at a
    reasonable
     > load.

    so reporting back that this seems to have definitely had a significant
    positive effect.

    So far today I have not seen the load average climb over 13 with the
    15minute average hovering around 7.  cpus are still spiking from
    time to
    time, but they are not staying maxed out all the time, and frequently I
    am seeing brief periods of up to 80% idle.  glusterfs process still
    spiking up to 180% or so, but consistently running around 70%, and the
    brick processes still spiking up to 70-80%, but consistently running
    around 20%.  Disk has only been above 50% in atop once so far today
    when
    it spiked up to 92%, and still lots of RAM left over.  So far nload
    even
    seems indicates I could get away with a 100Mbit network connection.
    Websites are snappy relative to what they were, still a bit sluggish on
    the first page of any given site, but tolerable or close to.  Apache
    processes are opening and closing right away, instead of stacking up.

    Overall, system is performing pretty much like I would expect it to
    without gluster.  I haven't played with any of the other settings yet,
    just going to leave it like this for a day.

    I have to admit I am a little bit suspicious.  I have been arguing with
    Gluster for a very long time, and I have never known it to play this
    nice.  kind feels like when your girl tells you she is "fine";
    conversation has stopped, but you aren't really sure if it's done...