Re: State of Gluster project

Hi Mahdi,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:02 AM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Mahdi,

For me it looks like Red Hat are focusing more  on CEPH  than on Gluster.
I hope the project remains active, cause it's very difficult to find a Software-defined Storage as easy and as scalable as Gluster.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

На 17 юни 2020 г. 0:06:33 GMT+03:00, Mahdi Adnan <mahdi@xxxxxxxxx> написа:
>Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what's the current and future plan for Gluster project
>overall, I see that the project is not as busy as it was before "at
>least
>this is what I'm seeing" Like there are fewer blogs about what the
>roadmap
>or future plans of the project, the deprecation of Glusterd2, even Red
>Hat
>Openshift storage switched to Ceph.

I can't talk about Red Hat's focus or roadmap, but as far as Gluster Project is concerned, the project will be maintained, and improvements would be made. That is a promise from us at Kadalu.IO. Just that rate of activity may be lesser than earlier depending on how much other consumers of the project contribute for development!

>As the community of this project, do you feel the same? Is the
>deprecation
>of Glusterd2 concerning? Do you feel that the project is slowing down
>somehow? Do you think Red Hat is abandoning the project or giving fewer
>resources to Gluster?

A project's activities are directly related to people contributing, and there seems to be a low tide right now.

About glusterd2 is concerned, the project's abandoning decision happened almost 18months or so back. So, not something new IMO. But, that shouldn't stop one from thinking of better alternatives to gluster's management layer. Aravinda, Co-Founder of https://kadalu.io, started a very nice project called moana (https://github.com/kadalu/moana) which I believe has a very good potential to make many of gluster's management challenges go away!

Regards,
Amar

________

Community Meeting Calendar: