Re: rsa.pub at https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Shane St Savage <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adding rsa.pub at https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/rsa.pub would allow bootstrapping Debian servers with the following repo/key:

In other words, only LATEST would have to be referenced instead of LATEST and some specific version for the key.

I'm not a Debian packaging expert. (Even if sometimes I play one on TV.)  Why is this preferable to what's in the README.txt (i.e. "wget -O - https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/5/rsa.pub | apt-key add -") ?

You import the key once, and it works for every update after that? That's what Louis Zuckerman (a.k.a. semiosis), the original gluster debian packager suggested. I don't know enough to know why your deb cmd is better than semiosis' apt-key add cmd?

Also the fact that the key hasn't actually changed since glusterfs-5 means, among other things, you only need to change the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gluster.list and updates to -6 or -7 will just keep working with the key you already imported.

As an example of why this is useful, Gluster 7 has been released since my original mail, so now the key for LATEST is at https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/7/rsa.pub instead of https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/6/rsa.pub. Every time a new verison of Gluster is released the recipe for installing the latest Gluster client has to be updated.

I have the possibly mistaken impression that not everyone wants to always use .../glusterfs/LATEST.  Some people want to install glusterfs-6 and stay on -6, i.e. .../glusterfs/6/LATEST. And they'd be really upset if they came in one morning to find that an automatic update (however good or bad an idea that is) had updated them to glusterfs-7 when they weren't ready for it. (And worse, if it broke their system.)

And apropos of nothing in particular, perhaps we should create a new key for glusterfs-8 when that time comes; it's probably time.