Re: Advice for setup: SW RAID 6 vs JBOD

>What I do have is an extra SSD disk per server which I plan to use as LVM cache for the bricks (Maybe just 1 disk, maybe 2 >with SW RAID 1). I still need to test how LVM / gluster are going to handle the failure of the cache disk.

Are you planing to use LVM cache for reads (writethrough) only or both read + writes (writeback) ?

If you pick the writeback - which means that you first write to the SSDs and only then push the data to the slow HDDs , then you need a raid1 for the SSD-based LVM cache , or a pure replica3 cause if you loose 1 SSD - the whole brick is down and you need to sync from scratch - and with the size of data you have - this will not be so nice.

Note: Don't forget that thin LVM is the only way that gluster can use snapshots.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov