Re: Does replace-brick migrate data?

On 23/05/19 2:40 AM, Alan Orth wrote:
Dear list,

I seem to have gotten into a tricky situation. Today I brought up a shiny new server with new disk arrays and attempted to replace one brick of a replica 2 distribute/replicate volume on an older server using the `replace-brick` command:

# gluster volume replace-brick homes wingu0:/mnt/gluster/homes wingu06:/data/glusterfs/sdb/homes commit force

The command was successful and I see the new brick in the output of `gluster volume info`. The problem is that Gluster doesn't seem to be migrating the data,

`replace-brick` definitely must heal (not migrate) the data. In your case, data must have been healed from Brick-4 to the replaced Brick-3. Are there any errors in the self-heal daemon logs of Brick-4's node? Does Brick-4 have pending AFR xattrs blaming Brick-3? The doc is a bit out of date. replace-brick command internally does all the setfattr steps that are mentioned in the doc.

-Ravi

and now the original brick that I replaced is no longer part of the volume (and a few terabytes of data are just sitting on the old brick):

# gluster volume info homes | grep -E "Brick[0-9]:"
Brick1: wingu4:/mnt/gluster/homes
Brick2: wingu3:/mnt/gluster/homes
Brick3: wingu06:/data/glusterfs/sdb/homes
Brick4: wingu05:/data/glusterfs/sdb/homes
Brick5: wingu05:/data/glusterfs/sdc/homes
Brick6: wingu06:/data/glusterfs/sdc/homes

I see the Gluster docs have a more complicated procedure for replacing bricks that involves getfattr/setfattr¹. How can I tell Gluster about the old brick? I see that I have a backup of the old volfile thanks to yum's rpmsave function if that helps.

We are using Gluster 5.6 on CentOS 7. Thank you for any advice you can give.

--
Alan Orth
alan.orth@xxxxxxxxx