Re: Replica 3: Client access via FUSE failed if two bricks are down

On 12/04/19 8:34 PM, Felix Kölzow wrote:

Dear Gluster-Community,

I created a test-environment to test a gluster volume with replica 3.

Afterwards, I am able to manually mount the gluster volume using FUSE.

mount command:

mount -t glusterfs  -o backup-volfile-servers=gluster01:gluster02 gluster00:/ifwFuse /mnt/glusterfs/ifwFuse

Just for a testing purpose, I shutdown two (arbitrary) bricks and one brick keeps still online

and accessible via ssh. If I poweroff the two machines, I immediately get the following error message:

ls: cannot open directory .: Transport endpoint is not connected

From my understanding of replica 3, even if two bricks are broken the client should be able to

have access to the data.

In replica 3, 2 out of 3 bricks must be up for allowing access. IoW, client-quorum must be met. Otherwise you would get ENOTCONN like you observed.

Actually, I don't know how to solve that issue. Any idea is welcome!

You could disable client-quorum but it is strongly advised not to do so in order to prevent split-brains (https://docs.gluster.org/en/v3/Administrator%20Guide/Split%20brain%20and%20ways%20to%20deal%20with%20it/).

Hope that helps.

-Ravi

If you need any log-file as further information, just give me a hint!

Thanks in advance.

Felix