Gluster Container Storage: Release Update

Hello everyone,

We are announcing v1.0RC release of GlusterCS this week!**

The version 1.0 is due along with glusterfs-6.0 next month. Below are the Goals for v1.0:

Along with above, we are in Alpha state to support GCS on ARM architecture. We are also trying to get the website done for GCS @ https://gluster.github.io/gcs

We are looking for some validation of the GCS containers, and the overall gluster stack, in your k8s setup.

While we are focusing more on getting stability, and better user-experience, we are also trying to ship few tech-preview items, for early preview. The main item on this is loopback based bricks (https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1473), which allows us to bring more data services on top of Gluster with more options in container world, specially with backup and recovery.

The above feature also makes better snapshot/clone story for gluster in containers with reflink support on XFS. (NOTE: this will be a future improvement)

This email is a request for help with regard to testing and feedback on this new stack, in its alpha release tag. Do let us know if there are any concerns. We are ready to take anything from ‘This is BS!!’ to ‘Wow! this looks really simple, works without hassle’

:smile:

Btw, if you are interested to try / help, few things to note:

Interested? feel free to jump into Architecture call today.

Regards,
Gluster Container Storage Team

PS: The meeting minutes, where the release pointers were discussed is @ https://hackmd.io/sj9ik9SCTYm81YcQDOOrtw?both

** - subject to resolving some blockers @ https://waffle.io/gluster/gcs?label=GCS%2F1.0