Corruption dangers growing the bricks of a dist-rep volume w/ sharding, on v3.8.8?

Hi Guys,
 I've got a distributed replicated 2+1 (arbiter) volume with sharding enabled, running 3.8.8, for VM hosting, and I need to expand it before I leave over the holiday break.

Each server's brick is mounted on its own LV, so my plan is the following with each server, one-by-one:

1. Take the peer offline
2. Add new disks & expand the brick's LV
3. Bring the peer back up
4. Heal the volume, before continuing to the next peer

My question is the following: I know there are reports of the data on sharded volumes getting corrupted when expanding those volumes. Is that only the case when expanding a volume by adding new bricks, or can that also happen if the bricks' LVs are expanded, without making any changes to the underlying layout of the volume's bricks?

Upgrading the Gluster version isn't an option for the moment, that will have to wait until next year when I upgrade the entire environment.

Many thanks,
 Doug