variant symlinks

Hi Gluster Gurus,

I was casting about today for a way to make a symlink that resolves to different files based on the username of the process owner. The idea/goal is to serve a webapp to multiple apache virtualhosts using mpm-itk from a single aliased read-only directory, but have the config file be a symlink that would resolve to a different file based on the itk user accessing it.

I found that the feature is called a variant symlink, and apparently this is a feature that Dragonfly BSD has supported for some time. My investigation also revealed there is a software called varsymfs (https://github.com/onslauth/varsymfs) but I didn't have any luck compiling it. And I am not sure if that would work on a glusterfs any way.

I also found that this should be something that can be handled by FUSE, but I didn't find any examples of how I might implement it.

It then occurred to me that maybe glusterfs has a similar feature already built in, but I can find no evidence that it does. But I thought better to ask, maybe there is a way to accomplish this, but perhaps I am not searching for the right terminology...

I have other solutions to the quest, such as hardlinking all the files into different directories, but none seem as elegant as the variant symlink idea.
--
Bob Miller
Cell: 867-334-7117