Gluster project's intentions to move to python3 as default.

Hi all,

GlusterFS as a project is not a core python based project, but many of its features (like geo-replication, eventsapi etc), are dependent on some of the python scripts. With many Linux distributions moving towards python3 as the default shipped python version in their environment, Gluster project too is planning to move towards python3 as the default.

More on this activity can be tracked down to Github issue #411

But for all the components which have valid regression tests to validate the scripts they have, we will continue to support functionality on CentOS7 (ie, python2).

For making sure we have support for python3 completely, we will run regressions/smoke on fedora28 (where python3 is the default).

What it means to our users?

As of our current analysis, all the existing python files needed minimum changes to work on both python2 and python3. Hence, for few more releases we would be happy to give assistance to make relevant changes to support python2 if some users want it that way.

In Summary, we don’t see any issues for our users who are using python2 or python3. The experience would continue to be smooth.

What it means for our developers?

If you have further questions on this, happy to discuss on email, or on github issue pointed above.

Regards,
Amar Tumballi (amarts)