Expand distributed replicated volume with new set of smaller bricks

We currently have a 3 node gluster setup each has a 100TB brick (total 300TB, usable 100TB due to replica factor 3)
We would like to expand the existing volume by adding another 3 nodes, but each will only have a 50TB brick. I think this is possible, but will it affect gluster performance and if so, by how much. Assuming we run a rebalance with force option, will this distribute the existing data proportionally? I.e., if the current 100TB volume has 60 TB, will it distribute 20TB to the new set of servers?

Thanks