Re: Integration of GPU with glusterfs

There are 3 issues with adding GPU and adding code to glusterFS:

1. Cost: Since you cannot stick any GTX card inside your server, you'll be forced to buy a $2K+ card for that. That could be an issue if the GlusterFS is made out of old/cheap servers and the company/institution doesn't have money for that.
2. You cannot insert any non GTX (or AMD's VEGA) cards to a 1U server.
3. Even if you find a solution for the 2 issues mentioned above, the code will need to support both OpenCL and CUDA.

Instead of GPU, how about thinking about some cheap DSP PCIe solution?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On January 11, 2018 10:58:28 PM EST, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 12/01/2018 3:14 AM, Darrell Budic wrote:
>> It would also add physical resource requirements to future client
>> deploys, requiring more than 1U for the server (most likely), and I’m
>
>> not likely to want to do this if I’m trying to optimize for client
>> density, especially with the cost of GPUs today.
>
>Nvidia has banned their GPU's being used in Data Centers now to, I
>imagine they are planning to add a licensing fee.

Nvidia banned only the lower cost, home user versions of their GPU line from datacenters.