lists.gluster.org issues this weekend

Hello folks,

We have discovered that for the last few weeks our mailman server was used for a spam attack. The attacker would make use of the + feature offered by gmail and hotmail. If you send an email to example@xxxxxxxxxxx, example+foo@xxxxxxxxxxx, example+bar@xxxxxxxxxxx, it goes to the same inbox. We were constantly hit with requests to subscribe to a few inboxes. These requests overloaded our mail server so much that it gave up. We detected this failure because a postmortem email to gluster-infra@xxxxxxxxxxx bounced. Any emails sent to our mailman server may have been on hold for the last 24 hours or so. They should be processed now as your email provider re-attempts.

For the moment, we've banned subscribing with an email address with a + in the name. If you are already subscribed to the lists with a + in your email address, you will continue to be able to use the lists.

We're looking at banning the spam IP addresses from being able to hit the web interface at all. When we have a working alternative, we will look at removing the current ban of using + in address.

Apologies for the outage and a big shout out to Michael for taking time out of his weekend to debug and fix the issue.

--
nigelb